A Doctor Who & Torchwood RPG forum

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
cassikat

Number of posts : 212
Character : Jenny
Registration date : 2008-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:50 pm

Jenny grinned at Donna and wrinkled her nose, but since Dad didn't bite to the teasing she let it drop. She then watched him pour the water, then fish out one of the purple fruits; curious, she pulled one of them from her own glass and gave it a tentative nibble. She then promptly spat it right back out as soon as the taste hit. "Oh, that...that's horrible. Why's it in our water if it's so bitter?"

She just shook her head in disbelief at the idiocy being displayed by whomever is in charge. "That's just...well, I don't know what. But it's probably not a good long-term thing, for anyone." Ianto had good questions, really good questions, and she almost ignored the oncoming food in favor of paying attention to her dad for the answers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mistojen
Admin

Number of posts : 449
Character : Donna Noble
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:53 pm

Donna looked over at Ianto and raised an eyebrow. "You do a lot of accounting at Torchwood or are you secretly moonlighting?" she asked jokingly, hoping to lighten the mood a little.

Then Jenny suddenly was spitting out her food and Donna raised her eyebrows at Jenny, instead. "You all right, over there?" she joked. But, Jenny made a good point, she thought. If the fruit was so bitter, why was it in their drinks, anyway?

She looked back down at her plate and poked at the food with her fork as she tried to decide what to try first. "Any suggestions on what to start with, Doctor?" she asked thoughtfully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mistojen.livejournal.com
starrylizard

Number of posts : 271
Character : The Doctor

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:55 pm

"As I recall, this place, the whole planet, was inherited down a family line. So far they've made a booming business of it, but I think this generation may be a bit slow." The Doctor shrugged, hoping that would answer Ianto's questions, his attention drawn to his sputtering daughter.

"Oh yeah, stay away from those ones. It's something Timelord-specific, I think. Other species all tell me it's a sweet delicacy, but I stopped pretending to even try it a few centuries ago." He smiled sympathetically and gestured to the platter of food.

"Try the Gordis fruit pie." He pointed to a small yellow pie that resembled something like a custard tart. "They're really good, for humans too I'm told."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mistojen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:11 am

"Try the Gordis fruit pie. They're really good, for humans too I'm told."

Donna looked from the Doctor to Ianto, curious of his thoughts. She looked back at the Doctor again and gave him a small smile. "Which would be...? This?" she asked, poking her fork into something that resembled what she thought perhaps a strawberry and peach crossbreed would look like.
Back to top Go down
cassikat

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:16 am

She tried to smile at Donna, but it was more like a grimace, as the bitter taste was still heavy on her tongue. "Yeah, I'm good. Sort of. Eventually." Yeuch. Horrid thing - at least it didn't taint the water bitter; a good thing as she must have drunk half a glass to get rid of that taste.

"...sweet delicacy my left foot." She looked up at her dad and raised an eyebrow. "So, am I going to find any more surprises like that one tonight?" She did pull one of the pies he'd pointed out over, and took an even more tentative nibble. It wasn't that she didn't trust him, it was just...well, she didn't trust the pie, and it was probably stupid of her to be so tentative when Dad recommended it, but she just couldn't help it. The little nibble she'd taken surprised her though, and she quickly took up another forkful. "Oh, this is good!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starrylizard

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:01 am

"Which would be...? This?"

'Nah, the yellow one, though that one's good too." The Doctor smiled, picking up a seemingly random tidbit of food and taking a bite.

"So, am I going to find any more surprises like that one tonight?"

The Doctor smiled at Jenny and raised an eyebrow. Assuming you've got similar tastes to me, which would make sense, avoid anything with Changa beans." He pointed to a pink bean-looking thing. "I can't stand them, but Rose loved them, so..." The Doctor shrugged and grinned. "Your choice."

"Oh, this is good!"

"Told you it was good. Salty, for a fruit pie, but rather pleasant all the same." He picked one up for himself, happily chopping it into bite size pieces with his fork.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cassikat

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:01 pm

"Well I probably do, you are my dad." Jenny grinned and poked at one of the pink bean-things, lifting one to smell, just to make sure. "Ew. Right, Changa beans are not in my diet. Anything else on the table I should just trust you and avoid?"

She glanced at Ianto to make sure he was handling the alien feast all right, then turned back to her dad. He'd said something during the Changa Bean discussion that had piqued her curiosity, and she just had to ask. "Erm, if it's not an imposition...who's Rose?" She nervously pulled apart the remainder of her pie, hoping she didn't ask something upsetting and out-of-bounds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ladydeadlock

Number of posts : 416
Character : Ianto Jones

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:32 pm

Ianto drifted away in thought for a bit, although he was aware of what was going on around him. He was merely focused on picking something to eat, out of all the very colourful pies they offered. He picked the one Donna had picked, and took a bite. It was good, quite good, actually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ladydeadlock.livejournal.com
starrylizard

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:53 pm

"Anything else on the table I should just trust you and avoid?"

The Doctor perused the plate, before grinning at Jenny. "Nope, I can't see anything else like that."

"Erm, if it's not an imposition...who's Rose?"

The doctor's face fell a little and he swallowed. "No it's alright, Jenny. She-" He paused, wondering how to put it. "She was a friend. We travelled together, but... I lost her."

The Doctor's eyes drifted down to his plate, where he was idly mincing his pie into smaller pieces. As if he'd just realised what he was doing, he picked up a taste and put it in his mouth. "It's good," he stated, but his smile when he looked back up didn't quite reach his eyes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mistojen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:55 pm

Donna looked over at the Doctor when Jenny asked about Rose.

"She was a friend. We travelled together, but... I lost her."

The words sounded painfully familiar to Donna and she looked down again, not wanting to see the Doctor's mood fall away. It broke her heart when he got that pained, nostalgic look on his face.
Back to top Go down
cassikat

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Whoever Rose is...or quite possibly was, given his reaction, she must have meant an awful lot to him, and she'd made him miserable, reminding him that she was gone. Jenny looked back down at her plate and mashed up a bit of pie, horribly upset with herself for depressing him. "M'sorry, I didn't mean to upset you."

She didn't look up from her plate, but only poked at the bits of pie. Some daughter she was, poking at sore spots like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ladydeadlock

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Ianto noticed the Doctor's reluctance to talk about this "Rose", and then noticed how Jenny was upset. While he couldn't and wouldn't do the same for the Doctor, he rubbed Jenny's arm, while he nibbled on the purple fruit both father and daughter so despised. He had no idea why, really. It was fantastic.
Back to top Go down
starrylizard

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:29 pm

"no, no, don't be. You didn't know and I brought her up." The Doctor had looked up to find that he had caused a sombre mood to come over the whole party and that just wasn't right.

"Really, it's fine!" He gave a more genuine grin, hoping to bring some cheer back. "Let's talk about something else, hey?"

-----

With his back to the window, The Doctor couldn't see the mountain view at all. But, anyone taking it in may have noticed a silvery cloud that had begun to coalesce in front of the mountains. The cloud shifted and moved en masse, shimmering as it did so - much the way a school of fish would move beneath the ocean, or a large group of insects... but this was neither of those things.

As the cloud drew closer, a faint humming noise could be heard, or possibly more felt than heard. A low hum of a vibration that make the glassware and cutlery tinkle together wherever they touched.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mistojen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:34 pm

As Donna took another sip of her water and set the glass down, she noticed the remaining water inside beginning to ripple. Her fork was clinking against her plate. She furrowed her brow. "Doctor...?" she asked, because, well, that was weird, wasn't it?

"That an earthquake?" she asked, wondering absently what earthquakes were called when they took place somewhere other than Earth.
Back to top Go down
cassikat

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:41 pm

Jenny sighed as she felt Ianto touch her, and looked up from her plate to give him a tremulous smile. It meant so much, that little comforting touch, and she'd hug him in thanks if they weren't both still sitting. Then she noticed what he was eating, and wrinkled her nose at him. "Eww. But I guess that just proves how different our taste buds can be...you really like those, don't you?"

She looked over at her dad when he spoke and smiled a bit more strongly, glad to see he was feeling a little better. Though she did frown a little too, as she caught sight of something...some shiny cloud. Sort of over his shoulder, outside. "Yeah...sure. Let's talk about weather, cause that's one weird cloud out there."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ladydeadlock

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:05 pm

"Yes, I do, they're quite good." Ianto told Jenny. He looked up from his pie as everything started to shake, only to see a big silvery cloud heading their way - something a cloud really should not be doing. Reflectively, he slid his chair away from the table, and further away from the window, with eyes wide.

"What the hell is that?"
Back to top Go down
mistojen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:11 pm

Ianto slid away from the table in his chair, suddenly, eyes wide and Donna startled.

"What the hell is that?"

Donna followed Ianto's line of sight and gasped. Should a cloud be...aiming for them...? Her eyes had gone wide, now, too, as she watched it. For once, she was speechless.
Back to top Go down
starrylizard

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:47 pm

What, Earthquakes, weather? The Doctor wasn't quite sure where the conversation had taken an interesting turn, but then he felt it too - the hum of a vibration just becoming audible.

"What the hell is that?"

He turned about in his seat, startled into looking out onto the view that had, by now, captured everyone's attention. Not just those at their table. "What?" he asked no one in general, face crumpling in confusion. He slipped on his glasses out of habit, trying to get a better look at the cloud of silvery things growing ever closer.

The dining room erupted into confused whispers, then louder cries, but it wasn't until the swarm was just meters away, the loud humming now rattling everything around them, that The Doctor yelled "RUN!" and the real chaos commenced as the first tiny dart hit the window and a small crack started to travel along the length of the glass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mistojen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:58 pm

When the Doctor said run, you ran. Donna jumped to her feet without a second's question or hesitation and took off running. She certainly hoped for Ianto's sake that he was as keen on the running as Jenny was and if not, that Jenny had the presence of mind to drag him along.

Just behind her, she heard the glass shatter almost explosively and she ducked her head, reflexively, covering with her arms as she went. "What the bloody hell is that?!" she screamed over the cacophony of panic and chaos.
Back to top Go down
cassikat

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:07 pm

Jenny started backwards as the first dart hit the glass, misjudged how much force she needed to shove the chair back, and went tumbling. She rolled to her feet and flinched as another dart hit the glass, then grabbed Ianto's hand and tugged him along with her. "Time to run again!"

She looked backwards over her shoulder as she ran, trying to see if her dad was following. "Dad, come on!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starrylizard

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:40 am

The Doctor pushed several other patrons away from the windows and then dove under the nearest table as the window gave way, smashing out in an explosion of glass beads. He shook his head, dislodging glass from his hair as he stood back up.

"Dad, come on!"

Locking on to the direction of Jenny's voice, The Doctor sprinted after his companions. "I'm coming. Keep going!" he called out. As they exited the The Purple Cube, he spun about, latching onto the heavy (purple of course) door and pushing with all his strength to get it closed.

"Help me get it closed," he called.

-------
Inside, if one peered through the gap still present in the doorway, the dart-like silver objects could be seen to hover inside the room. Their small metallic bodies were vibrating at such a speed as to give very little information away in terms of appearances beyond that - small, silver and dart-like in shape.

They just hovered there for the moment, as if waiting for the whole swarm to enter before moving any further. But that would happen any moment now, as the restaurant quickly became crowded with their silvery presence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mistojen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:16 am

"Help me get it closed,"

Donna fought her way through the throng of people trying to escape and made her way back to the door, practically throwing herself up against it to help the Doctor close it. Her face went red as she exerted all of her energy against the door, but it wouldn't close.

"Ianto! Jenny!" she called over her shoulder with a grunt.

She looked back at the Doctor as she pushed harder on the door. "What's wrong with it? Why won't it close?" she asked, her voice filled with panic as the humming sound grew louder still and another window on the other side of the door was smashed as presumably more of the things entered the restaurant.
Back to top Go down
ladydeadlock

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:03 pm

"Run!"

Was all Ianto heard. He didn't pull out his gun, but he got ready for the sprint of his life, and as Jenny caught hold of his hand, that's what happened. They ran - she loved it, he could see it - as fast as they could, although he couldn't help but look back, as if somehow he could figure out what those things were from a distance. The panic was overwhelming by now, and he saw the Doctor and Donna trying to close off the giant purple door, to no avail, as more things came into the shattered windows. He thought he'd go back to help, but he wouldn't just leave Jenny on her own.

"Jenny we have to help your father!" He said, and now it was his turn to pull her back there, pushing as hard as he could against the door.
Back to top Go down
cassikat

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:30 pm

Of course she loved the running, she just wished it wasn't always from something dangerous. And Ianto was quick on the uptake...and on his feet, which was a good thing. Outside the restaurant though, it wasn't possible to run - too many panicking people crowded the halls.

Jenny was standing on tiptoe trying to see over the crowds when Ianto tugged her hand. "Jenny we have to help your father!"

She turned about, yielding to his pull, and ran back to the doors. Dad and Donna were straining with them, but they just wouldn't close. Not even with Ianto's added force. She added her own pushing, and managed to sneak a peek through the gap in the door. The restaurant was nearly full of the darts now, and they were going to be here any moment! "Dad, why aren't the doors closing? Can you, I dunno, zap them with that thingy of yours? Make them work?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starrylizard

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Donna turned back to help him, shortly followed by Ianto and then Jenny, but the stupid door seemed stuck. Probably needed oil on hinges that had never really been used.

"Dad, why aren't the doors closing? Can you, I dunno, zap them with that thingy of yours? Make them work?"

Before The Doctor could puff out an answer, something large and purple smashed into the doors, knocking the wind out of The Doctor as he was squished between purple door and purple humanoid waiter, but at least the added momentum finally snapped the door shut.

The same rotund waiter that had served their table earlier stood up and brushed invisible dirt off his suit, before offering the Doctor a hand up and then turning to see if anyone else needed a hand.

"Thanks for that," the Doctor nodded at the waiter.

"Pleased to be of service, Sir. Got to look after our customers," the purple-clad man replied.

There was a thud from the other side of the door, followed by several more... and then a small silver dart pierced the purple wood of the door, right near Donna's head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]   

Back to top Go down

Short Drops and Sudden Stops [Continued...]
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next