A Doctor Who & Torchwood RPG forum

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

Number of posts : 515
Character : Lynne Masters
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:40 pm

"If we're going to match, you will be drinking plenty of beer,"

Lynne laughed and nodded. "Fair enough," she replied. "And believe me, I can drink my fair share. I just don't know if I should today after the way I ended up last night," she added, wrinkling her nose in distaste for her own actions.

"Rugby is a great sport. I personally like soccer better, but rugby is great fun to watch as well, and don't ever compare it to American football again while you're in this country,"

"Duly noted," she laughed in response. "So what is it, then? If you're going to date a stupid American, you're going to have to prepare yourself for a lot of stupid questions," she added lightly, giggling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

Number of posts : 522
Character : Dr. Owen Harper

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Owen smiled at Lynne, trying to forget about the previous night's events. "Don't worry, I'll keep a better eye on you this time."

"Uh," he said, scratching his head, "Well, Rugby is sort of like American football... It's just... better. A lot better, from what I've seen of it..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rinoachan326.livejournal.com/profile
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:09 pm

"Don't worry, I'll keep a better eye on you this time."

Lynne wrinkled her nose again and looked down. "You shouldn't have to, though...I don't know what happened, but, I think I'd better just take it easy for a little while," she decided aloud. "Because, I mean, I can get my drink on...but that's not me. That's not me at all and I don't want you to have to be my babysitter. That's not fair to you," she said seriously.

"Well, Rugby is sort of like American football... It's just... better. A lot better, from what I've seen of it..."

She smirked a little. "Okay, so let me get this straight. You can compare it to American football because you're English, but I can't because I'm American? I mean, if that's it, I totally get it...I'm aware of the way that the rest of the world sees us as self-centered. For the most part, they're not wrong. But, I mean, out of my own curiosity, are you comparing it to American football so that I'll understand and wouldn't do so otherwise, or are there just special rules of ettiquette for Americans that I should be taking note of?" she asked.

She'd been joking at the beginning of the mini monologue, but by the end she was serious. She needed to know. Now that Lynne had someone to ask, she felt she should be aware of any possible faux pas she could potentially commit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:22 pm

Owen scratched his head again. "I didn't mean to say that, American football is the closest thing for comparison, I suppose, I just... I don't like comparing the two, because they are different, but if you already know American football, then it'll be a bit easier to understand, I think. I... I didn't mean to offend..." He looked away from her, embarrassed, before recollecting his thoughts and looking back. "Are you a citizen yet? You said you've been here for four years, you could start introducing yourself as Welsh," he said, trying to laugh and lighten the tone.
Back to top Go down
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:31 pm

" I... I didn't mean to offend..."

"No, no!" Lynne said quickly, eyes wide. "I'm not offended...I just feel like I should know. I don't want...well, to offend people," she added gently. "You're okay. I promise." She offered him a reassuring smile to drive the point home.

"Are you a citizen yet? You said you've been here for four years, you could start introducing yourself as Welsh,"

She looked down. Lynne liked it in Cardiff, but she wasn't necessarily embarrassed to let it be know that she was American. It wasn't as though she could hide it, anyway. "Well...even if I could be a citizen, I think the accent might be a dead giveaway," she said with a weak smile as she looked up at him again.

"I mean...even if I do qualify for citizenship, which I don't know that I do - in America, you have to be born there or marry an American to gain citizenship - I wouldn't do it. American law says if you become a citizen of another country, then if you come back, you're a legal alien. Like...you're allowed to come back, but you're not technically an American citizen anymore, or something. I don't know the whole of it, but I'm not taking my chances. Because, I mean..." she paused and shrugged. "If you ever get sick of me and I end up having to go back home, I'd like to know that I can still work over there and get housing so I'm not living with my mom and dad until I die," she added somewhat lightly although the very thought of that possibility - any part of it, actually - made her mood drop drastically.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:04 am

Owen nodded. He could understand her concerns about being able to return home. The waitress brought their pizza out, and he found that as good a time as any to change the subject, but he didn't want it to look like he was changing it. "I've never been to America..." he said, distantly. Coming back, he looked at Lynne and continued, "Actually, I've never been anywhere outside of the UK. I should take a holiday, travel a bit, you know." He put a slice of pizza on her plate, before taking one for himself and biting into it.
Back to top Go down
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:14 am

"I've never been to America..."

Lynne felt a bit guilty that he sounded so distant. She hadn't meant to make him feel badly, after all.

But then he looked back at her and continued to speak. "Actually, I've never been anywhere outside of the UK. I should take a holiday, travel a bit, you know."

As he served them both Lynne nodded and smiled a little. "Well, you're not missing a lot by having never been to America. A lot of people in the salon make comments when they think I can't hear them...so I know what the general opinion on my country is. Like I said, they're mainly not wrong," she laughed.

"It's just...little differences. Nothing terribly interesting. But you should definitely travel if you can ever get a holiday. Seeing as how you only get one weekend a month, seems like that'll be a little easier said than done. You'll have to give me a heads up if you want to go to America, though, so I can save up and come with," she went on, taking a sip of her water before continuing, "I haven't been able to afford to go home since I got here and I miss it sometimes..."

She paused and smiled at him. "Thank you, by the way," she added in reference to Owen's having given her a slice of the pizza before she could get it on her own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:57 pm

"Well," Owen said, swallowing his bite, "Gwen at work spent a weekend holiday in Paris, I could do that some time. Maybe I will," he said, voice growing distant again. He stared at his pizza for a minute, thinking... About costs, he could afford it, he was well payed and didn't spend his money on much other than drinks... What would he do there? What was Paris known for? Art? Food? The City of Light... "Would you come with me?" he asked impulsively, turning back to Lynne quickly.
Back to top Go down
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:09 pm

"Gwen at work spent a weekend holiday in Paris, I could do that some time. Maybe I will,"

His voice was distant again and it sounded a bit to Lynne like he was thinking aloud more than talking to her, so she just listened. Then he looked back at her. "Would you come with me?"

Lynne's eyes went wide for a moment and she let out a huff of laughter out of her sheer surprise in response to his question. "Yeah, like I can afford to go to Paris, Owen," she replied lightly, although the idea was far more than just appealing. "I'd really like to, but..." her voice trailed off and she shrugged, giving a sad smile. "I can't afford to travel. Not right now, anyway..."

Suddenly, she felt very disappointed...and partially jealous and uneasy about the idea of Owen going to Paris, of all places, without her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:24 pm

Owen was a bit disappointed that she'd declined him. He could afford to take them both, but he could understand if it was a bit soon to be buying someone a trip to Paris. "It wouldn't be the same, going alone," he more thought aloud that said to anyone. "I mean," he said, realizing he was speaking out loud, "Gwen went with her fiance... It was just a thought." He smiled genuinely at her. Perhaps he'd bring it up again when they weren't such a new couple.

He took another bite of his pizza, "I love this place, pizza here is delicious."
Back to top Go down
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:31 pm

"It wouldn't be the same, going alone. I mean, Gwen went with her fiance... It was just a thought."

Lynne's stomach fluttered. Was he trying to say something more without actually saying it? She hoped not...she liked Owen a lot, but for Lynne, engagement equated to loss. She was far from ready to try it again, yet. The idea, though, if it really just a thought and nothing more, made her smile. Owen wanted her to go with him to the most romantic city in the world. She wished she could. "I like the thought," she admitted. "I really wish I could afford it, because I've always wanted to go, but going with you..." she paused and smiled, "would be so much better."

"I love this place, pizza here is delicious."

Taking another bite of her slice, Lynne nodded. "God yes," she agreed. "Hey, who's Gwen, by the way?" she asked curiously. "Another friend from work, or...?" she prodded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:56 pm

Owen smiled at Lynne, blushing just a little.

"Hey, who's Gwen, by the way?" she asked curiously. "Another friend from work, or...?"

"We work together. I suppose you could say we're friends. Better then me and Ianto, anyway," he smiled a bit sheepishly.

What he said about Gwen wasn't a lie. That's what she was to him now. He cared about her, sure, but he cared about all of his colleagues, he even cared enough about Ianto to help him out when he needed it.
Back to top Go down
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:01 pm

Owen's words told a different story than the blush creeping into his cheeks and Lynne smirked. "Owen..." she teased, sounding playfully scandalized. "You're blushing," she pointed out.

She didn't feel threatened. Not like with Tosh, anyway. She'd seen Tosh; Tosh was beautiful. Lynne just hoped that Gwen wasn't equally as such, because then, well...that might paint another picture of how Lynne felt about her. She supposed, though, until she met Gwen, she would choose simply to be amused by the pink shade of Owen's cheeks as he answered the question.

"You're not very close with Ianto?" she asked, confused. "Why not? He's really nice..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:09 pm

"You're blushing," she pointed out.

"I.... I am not..." he said, blushing a bit brighter. He took a sip of his drink.

"You're not very close with Ianto?" she asked, confused. "Why not? He's really nice..."

Owen scratched his head. "No, I'm not. Something about him... He's arrogant and a know-it-all..." 'And he shot me once' was left unsaid.
Back to top Go down
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:15 pm

He stammered a rebuttal and blushed brighter. Lynne had to ignore the pang of jealousy that hit her when his cheeks went pinker still. Part of her thought it was probably because of the fact that she'd called him on blushing, but some of her also thought maybe there was more to Gwen than he was telling. Instead of furthering the conversation into something potentially uncomfortable, Lynne just winked at him and let it drop.

"No, I'm not. Something about him... He's arrogant and a know-it-all..."

Ianto hadn't seemed like any of those things to Lynne, but to be fair, she'd only talked to him for a few minutes, really. "Oh," was all she said. "I wouldn't want to be close with someone like that, either," she agreed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:31 pm

"I'm sure he's not as bad as that," Owen admitted, looking down at his pizza again, "We just... don't get along..." He took a bite of his pizza. "He makes fantastic coffee, though," he smiled after he had finished his bite.
Back to top Go down
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:40 pm

Lynne's thoughts drifted off again to Paris as she ate. Maybe if she worked extra shifts at the bar, she'd be able to rack up enough tips. Of course, then she'd have even less time to spend with Owen than she already did...

The very idea of being able to get away, even if it was only for a weekend, was appealing enough, but adding Owen and Paris into the equation made it difficult not to come back to considering.

Owen had been speaking, though, and Lynne had completely missed it. She felt her face go hot with embarrassment. "Sorry...what? I...guess I spaced out for a second, there," she apologized, having the grace to look sheepish. "Did you say something about coffee?" she asked, suddenly confused. She thought she'd heard that, but it seemed out of context; they'd been talking about Owen's friendship - or lack thereof - with Ianto...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:54 pm

Owen looked at Lynne oddly. "Uh... yeah, don't worry about it... It wasn't all that exciting." He took another slice and took a bite. "I don't know," he tried to continue, "I don't... dislike anyone at work, really..."
Back to top Go down
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:57 pm

Lynne felt guilty, but if he wasn't going to call her on it, she wasn't going to dwell.

"Yeah, at the salon I basically hate everyone, but at the bar there's no one I don't like. There's obviously some I like more than others, but I guess that applies to everything and everyone, everywhere, doesn't it?"

It occurred to Lynne that the pizza was probably not going to help her cause when it came to losing the pudge she'd recently gained. "I'm full," she lied, pushing her plate away just slightly. "That was amazing pizza. Nice choice," she complimented, smiling at him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:12 pm

"I don't know if I could work anywhere if I hated my colleagues... I... don't really have the best temper with people I hate..." He smiled sheepishly at Lynne.

"This place knows how to do pizza," he said, "And don't worry about it, I'll take the rest back to my flat. I love cold pizza..."
Back to top Go down
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:22 pm

Lynne knew the feeling. "Yeah, sometimes it gets really hard for me to keep my cool at the salon. They're just all so condescending there. I don't know if it's because I'm American or because I'm me, but they treat me like it's...I don't know, a chore to be in my presence." She frowned. It must be nice to work with people who didn't drive him insane...even at the bar, sometimes, it was a bit frustrating to put up with the overdramatics.

Nodding, Lynne reminded herself that all she had to do was run for a little longer and she'd be back to where she'd been and could go back to eating whatever she liked, so long as she maintained. It was the losing that would be the bitch of it. "I can't do cold pizza," she said. "I like it better when the cheese is still melty and the dough is still soft. It's one of the few things I'm picky about when it comes to left overs. Gotta nuke the pizza. Blasphemy, I know," she laughed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:40 pm

Owen smiled and reached his hand out to stroke Lynne's. He imagined it was difficult for her with her accent, he knew a lot of people didn't like Americans. He liked her accent, though.

"Good," he said, about the pizza, "More for me." He smirked, taking another bite of his pizza.
Back to top Go down
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:49 pm

"Good," he said, about the pizza, "More for me."

Lynne laughed and gave him a playful kick under the table. "You're supposed to offer to leave me half to nuke later, you know," she teased. "You know, that's something I really love about you. You're not falling all over yourself to impress me. You're just you. I got so sick of guys showing off or being obnoxious while trying to be impressive. It's stupid. I'd rather just see a person for who they are right away. I feel like I see you for you. I like that," she said, turning her hand over to give his a squeeze.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:57 pm

"Well, if you want some, you can have some," he laughed back.

Owen smiled sheepishly and blushed a little again, he wasn't really used to hearing people talk about him like this. Sure, he liked to brag about himself, but he hadn't heard people compliment him in a long time. "Thanks," he said quietly.
Back to top Go down
rockinthehd
rockinthehd

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:04 pm

Rather than replyling with 'you're welcome,' Lynne smiled back at Owen and nodded. "While I'm at it," she said, smirking at the way he blushed, "I don't think you have any idea just how long I've been interested in you... I mean, it wasn't a whim, that first night, you know..."

She paused and looked down, a little embarrassed. "You used to take a different girl home on your arm practically every night, but you never looked happy. Not really. I think you must not have realized that the quiet bartender who, you may or may not have noticed, almost never had to actually ask your drink order...had been watching you and wanting to be one of those girls for a long time."

Letting out a flustered sigh, Lynne looked up at him again. "Wow, I sound like a stalker. I promise it wasn't like that...it' just there's nothing more to do than people-watch and some people are more interesting to watch than others. Your whole group...Tosh, Ianto, you...and a couple of others that come in all the time around the same time you did...and I'm probably making it worse. Shut up, Lynne," she chastised herself, crinkling her nose and looking away again as she felt her face growing hot. "So...how about the weather today?" she asked jokingly without looking back at him.

Sometimes when Lynne opened her big, fat mouth, she couldn't stop the words from rambling out even when she knew she was digging herself into a hole. Maybe that was another thing that kept her from ever meeting and keeping a good guy around. She'd spend the next few lifetimes kicking herself in the ass if she ran Owen off with her word vomit. She hoped he would just laugh it off and change the subject.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]   

Back to top Go down

Our past is our future... [attn: Owen]
Page 5 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next